Marine & Cargo
Vallis offer a range of proven Marine and Cargo Services across Africa and the Middle East with dedicated and skilled port-services teams in each of the major ports around the continent. Vallis has a strong culture of providing independent information that allows us to actively manage our client’s interests.
Vallis deliver a unique live reporting system, supported by tried and tested procedures. The live reporting allows for real-time resolution of problems faced on the ground, promoting operational efficiencies which can prevent financial loss. Our services are modular, enabling our clients to have a bespoke package in accordance with their requirements.
OUR STEP BY STEP PROCESS
The draft survey provides an indicative quantity of cargo on board a vessel to determine the weight that has been loaded or discharged.
- Draft surveys are the industry standard for quantifying bulk cargoes.
- Vallis is able to provide an independent report conducted in accordance with maritime standards, with our team of experienced professionals.
Vessel Discharge Supervision
Post Shipment Inspection
Vallis provide third-party supervision of vessel discharges. Vessel discharge supervision includes pre-discharge inspections, tallying of cargo off a vessel and marine surveying during the discharge. All vessel discharges are reported in real-time, giving our clients increased control and visibility of operations on the ground.
- Acting as the eyes and ears of our customers, Vallis provide a reliable and independent source of information verifying the compliance of cargo to shipping documents and assuring that a discharge is run with industry standard practices.
- The cause and origins of all stoppages are recorded and shared with our clients very quickly to allow for real-time troubleshooting. Any damaged cargo observed is assessed and reported, assisting our customers in the recovery of losses.
- Discharge operations are supported by comprehensive reports which have been used to claim successfully against Marine Cargo Insurance, Shippers, and Stevedores. Photographic reports are issued, illustrating the entire discharge and tally process. These reports provide visual evidence of any problems that may occur during discharge such as the identification of damages.
Cargo Tally Verification
Vallis can provide a physical tally of cargo discharged from the vessel onto quayside, and from quayside onto trucks. The live reporting of the despatch of trucks from the quayside to the warehouse provides an interim report and final daily reports are sent to the client each day.
- Vallis provide independent 3rd party verification that all cargo has been delivered in accordance with the Bill of Lading. A letter of protest is issued on behalf of the clients if a shortage is found. Live reporting also ensures that staff monitor every truck and do not take figures from other parties at the end of the shift.
- We provide a record of where cargo has gone since discharging from the vessel and accountability to those carrying the cargo.
- Our real-time reporting allows for the monitoring of the speed of discharge, required truck levels and the performance of service suppliers.
Sampling & Analysis
Vallis provide peace of mind to our customers with our sampling and analysis services. We investigate and confirm either phytosanitary, chemical or physical qualities of a wide variety of cargo types. Sampling can be conducted in accordance with GAFTA and ISO standards
- Samples are taken using either scoops or sampling spears where appropriate to obtain the most representative cross-section of the bulk cargo to be analysed.
- Individual samples are then mixed to form a composite sample for final analysis. Samples from all parts of the stored cargo are carefully mingled to maximise their usefulness and ensure that the final analysis results are fully representative of the bulk stock under investigation.
- Samples can be sent to a qualified laboratory for chemical analysis. Vallis use local knowledge to locate the most appropriate laboratory to return test results in the shortest possible time-frame.
Cargo Bagging Monitoring
Cargo bagging monitoring involves the tally of cargo through the bagging plant. Vallis provide independent verification of the weight of the bagged product coming out of the bagging plant using independent, calibrated scales. Vallis will reject bags should it not be within the required weight range specified by the client, and if stitching is not of a sufficient standard.
- Vallis are able to provide customers with third-party verification of the number of bags tallied from the vessel.
- Bagging monitoring ensures bags leaving the bagging plant meet the client’s specification. This saves the cost of rebagging cargo later and ensures cargo meets the minimum weight standards.
Vallis can be present at the weighbridge to witness and record weights and ensure the truck is weighed in correctly.
- Vallis staff obtain a copy of the weighbridge data record for the vehicles upon completion of weighing.
- The weighbridge data is updated in the live report, providing real-time information on truck despatches.
Vallis can provide real-time reporting of the arrival of trucks at a storage facility. With our team of dedicated staff, Vallis are able to record weighbridge weights of cargo on a per truck basis and record the quantity of goods received into a storage facility.
- Tallying at the warehouse integrates the reporting of goods at the quayside, to ensure that shortages are immediately picked up and identified.
- If trucks do not arrive at the warehouse within a set amount of time, Vallis can notify the client of the non-arrival of a truck, which will enable them to follow up with the transporter.
- Live reporting ensures figures are our own and not taken from another party.
Vessel Loading Supervision
Vallis are able to provide third-party supervision of a vessel loading in order to protect the interests of our client. Vessel loading supervision includes empty-hold inspections, tallying of cargo onto a vessel, sealing and marine surveying during the loading operation. Vessel loading operations are reported in real-time, giving our clients increased control and increased visibility of operations on the ground.
- Acting as the eyes and ears of our customers, Vallis provide a reliable and independent source of information verifying the compliance of cargo to shipping documents and assuring that loading is run with industry standard practices.
- The cause and origins of all stoppages are noted and shared with our clients very quickly to allow for real-time troubleshooting. Any damaged cargo observed is assessed and reported, assisting our customers in the recovery of losses.
- Loading operations are supported by comprehensive reports which have been used to claim successfully against Marine Cargo Insurance, Shippers, and Stevedores. Photographic reports are issued, illustrating the entire discharge and tally process. These reports provide visual evidence of any problems that may occur during discharge such as the identification of damages.
Marine Cargo Insurance
- We work with Marine and Cargo Insurers to deliver real time and accurate information so they may mitigate their own and their client’s risks.